06 December 2005

Pre-opening statement

This website is part of an effort to continue, and improve upon last year's webTA project for McGill University's Physics 102 class. Last year, a question and answer section was added part way through the term to augment the examples being posted on my website. The site became so popular by the end of the term we decided to try it again, but with some changes.

I'm hoping that a blog format will help make for a more interactive online environment, in conjunction with the more-or-less static site for examples, explanations etc. We will have to experiment with the best way to work question and answer through the blog, but for now, I plan to essentially "open the floor to questions" on a particular topic. Members of the class can then pose a question regarding the topic by posting a comment on this "floor-opening" post. I will likely not have time to answer all questions (I'm human, and have my own work to do), but when the same questions come up, or a particularly conceptual question is posed, I will try to answer with a new post. From there we can try to have discussions on the topics that people find difficult.

I hope that you will find this new format helpful. I know you can't compare to last year, but your feedback is welcome, and necessary to help the project evolve.

1 comment:

sab said...

This question is very similar to an example I posted: Chapter 16, #36. The example involves finding where the electric field is zero rather than the force on a third charge, but the method is the same.

The reason the third charge cannot be between the two charges is that the force due to each of the other two charges on a third charge in this region point in the same direction and thus cannot cancel to give zero force. This is the same for the electric field example.