06 December 2005

A few groundrules...

So, to help keep things on track, I'm going to propose the following groundrules/guidelines:


  1. No CAPA questions. Sorry, but the WebTA falls under the same category as the tutorials. I have access to the CAPAs so I will know when you are asking a question from CAPA. Figure out what you don't understand and ask a related question instead.

  2. Don't rely only on the webTA. Besides the fact that I likely won't be able to answer all of your questions, I also don't feel that there is any way to implement a web-based help system as effective as talking to a real person. Use this as an additional resource, but take advantage of the tutorials offered and ask a real live TA for help sometimes.

  3. No re-posting. Please don't repost the same question over and over, if I didn't answer it, it's because it didn't seem to be a general problem in the class (and you should see a TA), I just simply didn't have the time (and you should see a TA), or I couldn't think of a good way to answer it online (and you should see a real, live, flesh-and-blood TA who can talk and draw and gesture to explain to you).

  4. Please no "I have not idea how to do problem # ...". I know that's how it feels, but if you can't do a problem it means you are missing some particular concept. To really help you, I need to know what that concept is. If you just tell me you don't know how to do a problem I can't easily fish out where the real block is, I can just tell you how to do that one particular problem. Ask about the concept in relation to the problem or say what you did and where you got stuck, then I'll be more able to help. :)

  5. If you're not in the course, don't pose questions. Sounds harsh, I know... but I only have so much time to work on this. If I find that people from outside the course are drowning out questions from the class I will have to find a way to allow only the members of the class to post, or take down the blog all-together.



I hope we never need any more guidelines than this. I'd rather not have them at all, but I figured it would be better to set some up now than have to keep changing things midstream.

No comments: